Halloween is almost here! Sadly we weren’t able to finalize our Michael Myers recipe in time (there is always next year). However, we decided that we would share some tips on how to throw an easy and fun Horror Movie themed party! Horror movies are such a huge part of our life. Literally, horror movies saved our first date and are one of the reasons we are getting married!
Not sure where to start? Well we have you covered! We’ve broken down this guide into 3 sections: Movies, Decor, and Recipes. We may not be professional party planners, but we tend to throw very successful parties. Feel free to take our advice and make it your own! The secret to the best types of parties is to put a little bit of yourself into it. So let
The first thing to consider when planning a Horror Movie themed party is your movie selection. This sets the tone for the party! Below are a few of our favorites based on their horror sub genre:
- Supernatural: The Others, The Conjuring, Insidious, The Exorcist, Evil Dead
- Found Footage: The Blair Witch Project, Grave Encounters, Paranormal Activity
- Slasher: Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- Black and White Classics: Dracula, House on Haunted Hill, The Mummy
- Campy: Hellraiser, Pumpkinhead, In The Mouth of Madness, Wishmaster
- Sci Fi: Alien, Event Horizon, The Thing
- Misc: House of 1000 Corpses, Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil, It Follows
Decor isn’t always so important for a movie watching party. That being said, if the movie is the background noise for the party, you may want to play around with the decor. We like using various Halloween decorations as well as costume props. We have found that Amazon has the best prices for costume props. We love Target for general Halloween decor. Crate and Barrel always has amazing Halloween serving dishes. Even stores like Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, or thrift stores have some fun finds. Adding little touches like decorative cocktail picks, interesting serving platters, and cool glasses make all the difference. If hosting a potluck, ask friends to decorate whatever it is they are bringing and you will have a plethora of fun and decorated dishes!
Over the past month we have shared several Horror Movie themed recipes perfect for a party! We have rounded up all of this year’s Horror recipes for easy access:
- The Black Eyed Stickman– A Blair Witch inspired cocktail based off of The Preakness Cocktail, The Black Eyed Susan.
- Witch Sticks– A Blair Witch Project inspired treat which blends salty and sweet!
- Never Sleep Again: A Nightmare on Elm Street Inspired Pairing– A pairing inspired by A Nightmare on Elm Street that blends coffee and smoky flavors.
- Not Your Mother’s Snacks: A Friday the 13th Inspired Pairing– A pairing inspired by Friday the 13th that is definitely unlike anything you’d find at Camp Crystal Lake but are delicious none the less.
- Planchette Tea Sandwiches– A Ouija: Origin of Evil inspired recipe that not only tastes great but is visually interesting as well.
- The Snack is Family: A Texas Chainsaw Massacre Inspired Pairing– A pairing inspired by Texas Chainsaw Massacre that pays homage to the Sawyer family and their Texas lifestyle.
We hope this guide helps you throw an amazing Horror Movie themed party! We’d love to hear all about your party! Leave a comment below or use the hash tag #GeekEats on your party photos!