With a country that’s perhaps as politically aware as any time in recent history, this year’s President’s Day has a heightened level of exposure. Award-winning, Miami, Florida-based Chef Adrianne Calvo has decided to infuse her trademark Maximum Flavor into the occasion by putting her own delicious twist on a 123-year-old recipe straight from the White House Cookbook! The original dish, Pork Chop and Fried Apples, has been reinvented as Chef Adrianne’s Presidents Day Crispy Panko-Crusted Pork Chop and Spicy Caramel Apples, bringing an American classic into the present day.
President‘s Day is coming up. No matter what political view you share, we can all agree on the amazingness of food,” said Chef Adrianne. “I have done a Maximum Flavor makeover to one of the White House’s oldest recipes from their original cookbook dating back to 1894.”
About Chef Adrianne Calvo
Adrianne Calvo is the Executive Chef and owner of Chef Adrianne’s Vineyard Restaurant and Wine Bar, Host of Maximum Flavor Live on NBC’s 6 in the Mix, author of four cookbooks: Maximum Flavor (2005); Chef Adrianne: Driven by Flavor Fueled by Fire (2008); #MaximumFlavorSocial (2014); and Play with Fire (2015), and founder of the Make it Count Foundation.
Chef Adrianne’s Vineyard Restaurant and Wine Bar opened in 2007 and offers a varied and rotating menu with something for everyone. Monthly, the restaurant holds its signature event, Dark Dining, where guests are blindfolded for a sensual experience eliminating one sense in order to enhance another, providing maximum flavor. For more information, visit www.chefadriannes.com or follow her on Instagram: @chefadrianne and Facebook by clicking here.
- 2 bone-In Pork Chops, cut 1 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Salt with Parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 green apples, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup rum
- Chives, chopped garnish
- Preheat fryer to 375 degrees F.
- On a work surface, season pork chops with garlic salt and black pepper.
- Take three mixing bowls and place flour in one, beaten eggs in the second one, and panko in the third.
- Dredge seasoned pork chop in flour and dust off to shake excess.
- Then, dip into eggs and immediately into panko bread crumbs.
- Place into fryer and cook for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, add butter, brown sugar, and apples - cook over medium high heat. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Add pepper flakes and cinnamon stick.
- Stir and cook for 10 minutes or until caramel starts to form.
- Add rum and cook for another minute.
- Set aside.
- To plate, place pork chop on in center of dish and top with spicy caramel apples.
- Garnish with chopped chives.