With Shudder releasing their newest series Creepshow next week, we thought it would be fun to create a recipe inspired by the movie. After going through all of the shorts, we landed on one that we both adore, The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill. Thus our recipe for The Lonesome Cookies of Jordy Verrill came to be.
In Creepshow, “George A. Romero and Stephen King’s iconic ‘80s horror anthology returns as an all-new Shudder Original series from executive producer Greg Nicotero (The Walking Dead). Creepshow features stories from horror luminaries like Stephen King, Joe Hill, Josh Malerman, Joe Lansdale and others, with segments directed by Nicotero, Tom Savini, Roxanne Benjamin, David Bruckner, John Harrison and Rob Schrab, and a cast that includes Adrienne Barbeau, Giancarlo Esposito, and Tobin Bell.”
As mentioned above, our cookies are inspired by one of our favorite shorts in the original Creepshow film, The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill. The short is based on King’s short story “Weeds”. “Jordy Verrill (played by King himself), a dimwitted backwoods yokel, thinks that a newly discovered meteorite will provide enough money from the local college to pay off his $200 bank loan. As the meteorite is too hot to touch, he douses it with water, causing it to crack open and spew a glowing blue substance that comes into contact with his skin. He then finds himself being overcome by a rapidly spreading plant-like organism that begins growing on his body. Not only that, but the weeds start to grow on the house and everything Jordy has touched.”
We used a few different things to create our cookies. First, we used Green Apple Pop Rocks. Not only do they create a mossy texture but they pop when you eat them! We also used green cotton candy to create more texture. These cookies can be a little tricky so we suggest using tweezers when working with the cotton candy.
We hope you enjoy our recipe for The Lonesome Cookies of Jordy Verrill! Be sure to check out Creepshow on Shudder starting on September 26th! Also, let us know in the comments below which horror movies we should do recipes for this Halloween!
Inspired by both the movie and Shudder's upcoming series Creepshow, The Geeks have whipped up a creepy cookie recipe called The Lonesome Cookies of Jordy Verrill.
- 10-12 Sugar Cookies (you can use pre-made or make your own)
- 1/2 bag Salted Caramel Meltables
- 2 bags Green Apple Pop Rocks
- 1 bag Charms Mixed Color Cotton Candy (or green cotton candy if you can find it)
- Melt the meltables per package instructions.
- Make a small circle of caramel on each cookie.
- Immediately sprinkle with Pop Rocks (we found it easier to dump them in a bowl. If you take a pinch instead of sprinkling them from the package the warmth of your fingers creates more of that mossy look).
- Using a pair of tweezers, pull a bit of cotton candy off and set it onto the top of the cookie. (the heat of your fingers will make it melt)
*The Geeks were not compensated or given any comped items to facilitate this write-up; Opinions and recipe are wholly our own. View our Disclosure Policy for more info.