“Isle of Dogs tells the story of ATARI KOBAYASHI, 12-year-old ward to corrupt Mayor Kobayashi. When, by Executive Decree, all the canine pets of Megasaki City are exiled to a vast garbage-dump, Atari sets off alone in a miniature Junior-Turbo Prop and flies to Trash Island in search of his bodyguard-dog, Spots. There, with the assistance of a pack of newly-found mongrel friends, he begins an epic journey that will decide the fate and future of the entire Prefecture.”
When coming up with this recipe we knew from the start we didn’t want to create a standard Japanese inspired dish. Instead, we would take inspiration from the dogs of the film. Rather than creating a Japanese recipe, we created dog treats with chicken and brown rice. These dog treats ended up being inspired by the Japanese snack, onigiri! Our Onigiri Dog Treats are super easy and your dog is going to love them! Mimi sure did!
Now while your pupper is enjoying one of these delicious dog treats, it’s time for you to go to the movies! We are giving away 10 pairs of screening tickets for a sneak preview of Isle of Dogs! The screening will be held at Harkins Valley Art on Tuesday, March 27th. The screening starts at 7 pm and the winners should arrive at 6:15 in order to guarantee their seating. Winners will be selected on Monday, March 26th. Good luck!
- 6 oz Chicken Thigh, cooked and chopped
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup cooked Brown Rice
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 12-18 Nori strips cut 3 inches long by 1 inch wide (this will depend on how many treats you make)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine chicken, rice and chicken stock in a blender.
- Blend until well combined.
- In a bowl combine the flour, 1 egg, and salt.
- Add the chicken mixture and stir until clumpy.
- Flour your work surface, then kneed your dough until well combined.
- Roll out your dough until 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a triangle shaped cookie cutter, cut out the treats and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Wrap the botton of your treat with a piece of nori using a small bit of water to secure.
- Using the other egg, create an egg wash.
- Brush the top of your treat with a light coat.
- Bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool and share with your favorite pup!