The Potato is perhaps one of the most perfect foods. It is certainly one of our favorites. There are so many uses for potatoes. From french fries to mashed potatoes to scalloped potatoes, the uses are endless. One of our favorite ways to prepare potatoes are by baking them.
Baked Potatoes are a favorite for us because not only are they great as a side dish but they can also serve as a main dish. You can top them with chili, various pulled meats, cheese, vegetables, and more! Basically the world is your oyster when it comes to baked potatoes.
Some of our favorite toppings include:
- The Works- Sour cream, butter, cheese, bacon, and chives
- Green Chile Pork- Green chile pulled pork and cheese
- Broccoli Cheese- Melted cheese and steamed broccoli (the pre-packaged freezer type are great for a quick topping)
- Chili- Your favorite chili (homemade or canned), cheese, and onions
- Salsa- Salsa or hot sauce, sour cream, and cheese
The secret to a delicious baked potato isn’t necessarily the toppings you put on it, but rather how you prepare it. There is more to it than washing the potato off, poking holes, and throwing it into the oven. The skin can actually be one of the tastiest parts of the potato with a little work. Below is our recipe for what we think is the most delicious way to prepare your baked potato pre-topping.
How do you prefer your potatoes? Do you have a favorite topping? In the comments below tell us how you prepare your perfect baked potato!
- Russet Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash potatoes.
- Poke holes around the entire potato.
- Drizzle with olive oil and massage into skin (this is important to get the flavor into the potato).
- Coat with kosher salt, making a salt crust.
- Cook for 60 minutes or until tender.