Whew! It’s been a hot minute since we’ve posted. Forgive our absence, we’ve been dealing with a loss in the family and frankly, life has been a bit crazy. However, we didn’t want to leave you hanging for Thanksgiving. With a little help from our pals at Crunchyroll, we have an anime themed treat for you!
If you are anything like us, you probably don’t love watching football on Thanksgiving. The question then, is what should you watch? Well, we have a list here of 6 anime themed around food, family, and friends.
- Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma – Shokugeki no Soma centers on Yukihira Soma, a middle school student who is determined to surpass his father’s culinary skills. One day, his father decides to close down their family restaurant and hone his skills in Europe. Before leaving he enrolls Soma in an elite culinary school that is extremely difficult to enter with a graduation rate of only 10 percent. Will Soma be able to improve his skills, or will the kitchen prove to be too hot?
- Laid-Back Camp – Nadeshiko, a high school student who had moved from Shizuoka to Yamanashi, decides to see the famous, 1000 yen-bill-featured Mount Fuji. Even though she manages to bike all the way to Motosu, she’s forced to turn back because of worsening weather. Unable to set her eyes on her goal, she faints partway to her destination. When she wakes up, it’s night, in a place she’s never been before, with no way of knowing how to get home. Nadeshiko is saved when she encounters Rin, a girl who is out camping by herself. This outdoorsy girls story begins with this first encounter between Nadeshiko and Rin.
- A Place Further Than the Universe – Scenery that we have never seen. Sounds that we have never heard. Scents that we have never smelled. Food that we have never tasted. And the surge of emotion that we have never experienced. This is the expedition of recollecting the pieces torn apart and sensation left alone. When we reach that place, what will we think? Howling, 40-degree angle. Raging, 50-degree angle. Shouting, 60-degree angle. A wilderness beyond the heavy sea. The furthest south, far from civilization. At the top of the Earth. We will find lights through the girls’ eyes to live tomorrow.
- Poco’s Udon World – Souta Tawara, 30 years old. On a visit to his hometown, he meets a strange child who loves udon and frogs… and has ears and a tail?! Souta is a web designer living in Tokyo. Back in his hometown after his father’s death, he finds a child sleeping inside an iron pot in the family udon restaurant. Although ordinary at first glance, it turns out that this little tyke is actually a tanuki in a human disguise! So begins the tale of a gentle, warm, and slightly weird family in Kagawa prefecture, better known as “Udon prefecture,” where time passes at a less hurried pace than in the big city…
- sweetness and lightning – Kohei is a single father and high school teacher who lives with his only daughter. A chance encounter brings him together with Kotori, one of his students. The three of them start to meet together to make meals. None of them know how to cook, but they all love delicious food! ”sweetness & lightning” is a heartwarming and fun experience that you’re sure to love!
- Today’s Menu for the Emiya Family – “Fulfilling meal…a familiar view” In this story, Fate and food meet in a delicious and gentle world. It’s nothing but an ordinary meal scene… Delicious meals are served at the Emiya’s dinner table every day, through spring, summer, fall, and winter. — Let’s see… what’s for dinner today?
Not only are these themed anime titles, but you can stream and watch with your family and friends on Crunchyroll! Head over there for a free trial! Do you have a favorite anime to watch on Thanksgiving? Let us know in the comments below or on any of the social posts for this article and you have a chance to win 30 days of free VRV/Crunchyroll! We hope you have a wonderful holiday!
*The Geeks were not compensated or given any comped items to facilitate this write-up; Opinions are wholly our own. View our Disclosure Policy for more info.