We have a confession. We love Spam. Not the email kind, but the meat in a can. Now hold on and hear us out. There are rules for this love, primarily it must be served with rice. Musubi and fried rice to be specific. Now sadly, both aren’t exactly healthy and with Convention Season around the corner, moderation is key. How can you make this healthier? We’re glad you asked! The answer starts with RiceSelect‘s Texmati® Brown Rice!
For our lightened up version of Spam and Kimchi Fried Rice we used award-winning RiceSelect Texmati® Brown Rice. This rice is the all-natural, whole grain alternative to Texmati® White Rice. It is also Non-GMO Project Verified. The inedible husk is the only part removed, making it heart-healthy with a low glycemic index value. The nutty taste and slightly chewy texture make it ideal for fried rice like ours.
In addition to RiceSelect Texmati® Brown Rice, we used a few other ingredients to make this dish a bit healthier. The first being low sodium soy sauce. With soy sauce being an ingredient that is used in a fairly large quantity, it needed a makeover. Lower sodium soy sauce tastes the same with less salt. The second ingredient we changed up was the Spam. By using Spam Lite instead of the regular version you have 33% fewer calories, 50% less fat, and 25% less sodium. All good things when you are working on a new cosplay!
Want to make this delicious recipe or maybe you want to try your own recipe with RiceSelect Texmati® Brown Rice? Well, you’re in luck! The folks over at RiceSelect have graciously given us two canisters of RiceSelect Texmati® Brown Rice and a RiceSelect tote bag (this thing is huge and perfect for the Farmers Market) to give away. All you have to do is enter our raffle below for a chance to win! The winner will be notified by email! Good Luck!
While this may not be the healthiest recipe, the substitutions in it make it a bit healthier than your traditional Spam and Kimchi Fried Rice. This is a great recipe for a cheat meal when you don't completely want to ruin your progress but still need comfort food.
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil, divided
- 2 Eggs
- 3 cups cooked RiceSelect Texmati Brown Rice; 1 cup uncooked
- 1 can Spam Lite, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup Kimchi, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce (we used Kikkoman)
- 2 tbsp Kimchi Juice
- 2-3 Green Onions
- Sriracha to finish
- Prepare rice per package instructions and let cool.
- Heat 1 tsp of sesame oil and scramble your eggs.
- Set eggs aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tsps of sesame oil.
- Add Spam and cook until Spam gets a nice crispiness to it. Add kimchi about half way through.
- Once both are cooked, add rice, egg, soy sauce, and kimchi juice.
- Toss until combined and heated through.
- Add green onion.
- Toss a few more times.
- Add a drizzle of Sriracha.
To reduce calories and fat further, you can use cooking spray in lieu of sesame oil though the flavor will be different. This will lower your calories by 30 calories a serving.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Geeks Who Eat
*The Geeks were compensated to facilitate this write-up; We were also provided information about RiceSelect Texmati Brown Rice. All opinions are wholly our own. View our Disclosure Policy for more info.