It is no secret that we love just about anything Blumhouse touches! When we heard that Leigh Whannell (the creator of Saw) was making a new movie, Upgrade, for Blumhouse we were beyond excited. Instead of creating a recipe for Upgrade, we decided to teach you, our readers, how to upgrade your cocktails at home. Not only that, but we are giving away passes to see the film early!
In Upgrade, “after his wife is killed during a brutal mugging that also leaves him paralyzed, Grey Trace (Logan Marshall-Green, SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING, PROMETHEUS) is approached by a billionaire inventor with an experimental cure that will “upgrade” his body. The cure–an Artificial Intelligence implant called STEM–gives Grey physical abilities beyond anything experienced, and the ability to relentlessly claim vengeance against those who murdered his wife and left him for dead.”
5 Tips to Upgrade Your Home Cocktail Game
- Expand Your Bitters Collection– Did you know that there are way more bitters than just Angostura and Peychaud’s? There is a world of bitters out there that will enhance any cocktail. Some of our favorites include Az Bitters Lab and Bittermen’s.
- Make Your Own Simple Syrups– Making your own simple syrup is not only easy but will taste better than anything you can find in a bottle. Imbibe has a HUGE list of various syrups which can be found here.
- Keep Fresh Citrus On Hand– If you make a lot of cocktails at home, it is definitely worth keeping a variety of citrus at home. We always have lemon, lime, orange, and grapefruit on hand. Not only will the juice taste better than the bottled option, but the peels are perfect for garnishing.
- Practice Being Creative– This may sound silly but practice makes perfect. Start with a classic cocktail and modify it slightly. This will help you get better at learning which flavors and spirits you like as well as the correct ratio to use them.
- Get a Good Set of Bar Tools– A complete setup (Shaker, Cocktail Mixing glass, Jiggers [measuring is super important]) will not only help you execute great cocktails at home, it will also make you look cool shaking your drink like a pro.
Now that you can upgrade your own cocktails, we’ve got a giveway for you! We are giving away 10 pairs of screening tickets for a sneak preview of Blumhouse’s Upgrade! The screening will be held at Tempe Marketplace on Wednesday, May 30th. The screening starts at 7 pm and the winners should arrive at 6:15 in order to guarantee their seating. Winners will be selected on Monday, May 28th. Good luck!
*The Geeks received no compensation to facilitate this write-up; opinions are wholly our own. Screening Passes provided by Allied Marketing. View our Disclosure Policy for more info.