With all of the heat we are dealing with in Arizona right now we are so ready for fall! To get in the mood, we’ve been getting ready for the release of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. We put together a new recipe which actually comes from the pages of the source material, Cemetery Soup! Not only that, but we’ve got a great giveaway as well!
In Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, “It’s 1968 in America. Change is blowing in the wind…but seemingly far removed from the unrest in the cities is the small town of Mill Valley where for generations, the shadow of the Bellows family has loomed large. It is in their mansion on the edge of town that Sarah, a young girl with horrible secrets, turned her tortured life into a series of scary stories, written in a book that has transcended time—stories that have a way of becoming all too real for a group of teenagers who discover Sarah’s terrifying home.”
As we mentioned above, the idea for this recipe came directly from the Scary Stories books. Specifically, it comes from More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, the 2nd book in the series. There is a story called Cemetery Soup. It is about a lady who steals a bone from a cemetery to use in her soup. They even list the ingredients in the story!
Into the big soup pot went water, carrots, green beans, corn, barley, onions, potatoes, a snitch of beef, some salt and pepper, and–the bone.”
We went with this as our base but added thyme and a couple of bay leaves. We also used pre-made bone broth instead of making it the way it is described. You actually have to blanch and roast the bones before you can cook with them. Bon Appetit had some great tips for bone broth!
This soup will be absolutely perfect come Halloween time! In the meantime, we are giving away 5 pairs of VIP Advanced Screening Passes to an advanced showing of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark! The showing will be held at Harkins Tempe Marketplace on Wednesday, August 7th. The screening starts at 7:30 pm and the winners should arrive at 6:30 in order to guarantee their seating. Winners will be selected on Monday, August 5th. Good luck!
Inspired by the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark source material, The Geeks have whipped up a recipe straight from the story, Cemetery Soup, just in time for the Scary Stories movie release!
- 1/2 lb chopped Stew Beef (small pieces)
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced Carrots
- 1 cup fresh Green Beans
- 1 cup fresh Corn
- 6 cups Beef Bone Broth (We used Pacific Beef Bone Broth, which is a good substitute if you don't want to make your own)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tbsp Thyme
- 2/3 cup uncooked Barley
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 cups Potato, peeled and cubed
- In a dutch oven (or soup pot), heat vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add stew beef and cook until just the outside edges are browned.
- Remove beef from pan and add onions. (Do not wash)
- Cook onions until they are soft (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add carrots, green beans, and corn.
- Cook for about 3-4 more minutes until the vegetables have softened. (Don't overcook)
- Add the beef, bone broth, bay leaves, thyme, barley, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes with the lid on.
- Add potatoes.
- Cook for 15 more minutes with the lid on or until potatoes are tender.
- Add a bit more salt to taste.