The Downton Abbey movie is finally here! In our circle, there are so many people excited for this film and we didn’t want to disappoint. So we’ve come up with a fun way to get ready for the movie or enjoy a rewatch of the show. That’s right, we’ve put together a guide on how to throw your very own Downton Abbey Inspired Tea Party! Not only that, but we have a cool giveaway as well!
In Downton Abbey, “the Crawleys and their intrepid staff prepare for the most important moment of their lives. A royal visit from the King and Queen of England will unleash scandal, romance and intrigue that will leave the future of Downton hanging in the balance. Written by series creator Julian Fellowes and starring the original cast.”
- The Tea Set- For a more formal setting you should aim for a silver plated tea service. This includes a tea pot, sugar holder, and creamer. If you are looking to save money, check your local thrift store. Frequently, you will see tea sets there. If you are looking for something a bit more casual, a ceramic teapot is fine. Make sure your teacups have saucers as this is proper.
- Tea Trays- These should match the type of tea pot you are using. Again, thrift stores have a plethora of this type of stuff for reasonable prices.
- Table Decor- A nice linen or lace table cloth will help to make the setting feel formal. Fresh cut flowers will also add a touch of elegance to the party.
- Tea- We like to offer a selection of teas to our guests. Typically we serve Earl Grey, Camomile, and Green Tea.
- Tea Sandwiches- Tea sandwiches are the most important part of tea in our opinion. There are so many fantastic options! Some of our favorites are: chicken salad, cucumber and cream cheese, roast beef and bleu cheese, and egg salad.
- Sweets- An offering of sweet baked goods is definitely important. You can serve cakes, scones, mini trifles, cookies, tarts, and more.
- Misc- Other miscellaneous things you can offer at your tea party are: clotted cream, lemon curd, deviled eggs, a selection of cheeses, and crackers. Additionally, if it is a late afternoon tea party, you might consider serving champagne.
The Official Downton Abbey Cookbook has several recipes and ideas as well!
Now you’re ready to host a tea party worthy of the Dowager Countess of Grantham! Not only that, but we have a great prize pack to help you out! We are giving away one pair of Run of Engagement passes good for Phoenix area Harkins Theaters and a copy of The Official Downton Abbey Cookbook! Winners will be selected this Friday! Good Luck!
*The Geeks received no compensation to facilitate this write-up; opinions are wholly our own. ROE tickets and Cookbook provided by Fingerpaint Marketing. View our Disclosure Policy for more info.
4 Replies to “The Geeks’ Guide to Throwing a Downton Abbey Inspired Tea Party”
I am all about the tea cakes and sweets!
I can’t wait to see the Dowager back in action. Maggie Smith is a legend.
Tea sandwiches sound great!!