A child is diagnosed with cancer every three-and-a-half minutes and only a staggering 4 percent of U.S. federal funding is earmarked for childhood cancer research. That is why Phoenix Children’s Hospital Foundation is asking the Community to Go Gold this September during Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month – with the goal of raising $1 million to support the Hospital’s Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders. In a show of solidarity, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton, Peoria Mayor Cathy Carlat, Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell and Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane will each participate in a formal ribbon cutting ceremony on Thursday, September 1, to help kickoff the initiative. Each ribbon cutting will include members from PCH as well as a family impacted by pediatric cancer.
Local businesses and the community at large are invited to join the movement. Those already committed include: Arizona Diamondbacks, Coulter on Camelback, Ideas Collide, Law Offices of Mark Kirkorsky, Lister Assister, Cheeky Chick Baby Boutique, AZ Pro Group, Cobblestone Auto Spa, Cowboy Saloon, Jack Morton Foundation, Java Boba, Le Macaron, MMPR Marketing, Nike at Scottsdale Quarter, Slim Chicken, Arizona Central Credit Union, Landings Credit Union, Sprint, McDonough Corporation, The Ross Team- Nova Home Loans, Harkins Theatres, Marriott, Larry H. Miller Dealers, Camelback Volkswagen Subaru Mazda and Direct Energy.
WHEN: Thursday, September 1
- Park West—8:30 a.m. with Peoria Mayor Cathy Carlat
- Tempe Marketplace—8:30 a.m. with Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell
- Cityscape—1 p.m. with Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton
- Scottsdale Quarter—4 p.m. with Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane
Ongoing promotions all month long by local businesses include:
- Churn: Portion of proceeds from gold themed treat will go to Go Gold.
- Miracle Mile Deli: $1 from every “Straw” Sandwich to go to Go Gold.
- Papa John’s: Go to papajohns.com and enter code PCH at checkout for 40% off your order. Ten-percent of proceeds will go to Go Gold.
- Sauce Pizza & Wine: September 12 – 18, Sauce is donating 100% of proceeds from kids menu items to Go Gold.
- Spinatos Pizzeria: $1 from every dessert sold to go to Go Gold.
- State Forty Eight: Producer of the official Go Gold t-shirt where $5 from every shirt will go to Go Gold.
- The Vig: $1 from every Four Peaks 8th Street Pale to go to Go Gold. Also, if you upload a picture with your Pale Ale to social media using the Go Gold hashtag (#GoGold4PCH) and tag The Vig location, you will receive 15% off your bill.
- Zoyo Neighborhood Yogurt: Will launch a flavor of the month and do a give-back night in September that will go to Go Gold.
- Dunkin Donuts: Will sell a Go Gold donut with 50 cents from each donut sold going to PCH.
- California Pizza Kitchen: Desert Ridge and Tempe Marketplace locations will offer a 20% donation of your total bill when “Go Gold for PCH” is mentioned any Wednesday in September.
- Buffalo Wild Wings – (Westgate Entertainment District location) Eat wings and raise funds! All day Saturday, September 17, Buffalo Wild Wings at Westgate will be donating 10% of your total bill when you show your Phoenix Children’s Hospital golden ticket. People can visit the Westgate website and look under event listings in their calendar to print out the ticket.
- Thirsty Lion Gastropub & Grill – (Tempe Marketplace location) Featuring a special beer flight for the month of September with gold beers. $1 for each flight sold will be donated to PCH for Go Gold. Thirsty Lion will also feature the special flight on their Seasonal Fresh Sheet, so every customer during the month of September will see the offer at their table.
- Kabuki Japanese Restaurant – (Tempe Marketplace and Westgate Entertainment District) Special Dish for the month of September: Curry Shrimp on Crispy Rice. $1 from the sale of each dish will be donated back to PCH for Go Gold.
- Slices – (Tempe Marketplace location) Slices Pizza Joint will give 10% of all its sales on the BBQ Chicken Slice during the month of September and a dedicated 10% of sales every Tuesday in September to PCH.
For more information about Go Gold visit GoGold4PCH.org or click on the hashtags you see, #GoGold4PCH.
About Phoenix Children’s Hospital
Phoenix Children’s Hospital, Arizona’s only hospital honored by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Children’s Hospitals, provides world-class inpatient, outpatient, trauma, emergency and urgent care to children and families in Arizona and throughout the Southwest. As one of the largest children’s hospitals in the country, Phoenix Children’s provides care across more than 75 pediatric specialties. The Hospital is poised for continued growth in quality patient care, research and medical education. For more information about the Hospital, visit www.phoenixchildrens.org.