We are almost through fall and 3/4 of the way through October, which means pumpkins. By now you must of have noticed the plethora of pumpkin products that have saturated not only specialty stores but also coffee shops, chain grocery stores and more. The Pumpkin Spice Latte isn’t the only way to get a pumpkin fix these days. Last year I wrote a blog about all of the wonderful pumpkin products that I had seen and this year was no different. I came, I saw, I bought pumpkin products!
This year boasted the following finds:
- Pumpkin Seed Tortilla Chips (amazing with bean dip!)
- Pumpkin Ginger Snaps (a tasty play on a traditional cookie)
- Pumpkin Biscotti (great with espresso!)
- Pumpkin Spice BBQ Sauce (Bought it, but haven’t tried it)
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Potato Chips (also purchased but not tried)
- Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal (great for the chilly mornings we are getting!)
- Pumpkin O’s (yes, we even purchased a back up box!)
- Pumpkin Macarons
- Pumpkin Waffles
- Pumpkin Beer (Oh how the varieties continue to grow!)
This year however, was a bit different. Instead of talking about other people’s recipes and various pumpkin products, I wanted to make one of my own. So we put our brains together and with yesterday being National Pumpkin Day and today being Taco Tuesday, it was only natural that we come up with a taco recipe that utilized none other than the fall favorite, pumpkin!
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin (do not confuse with pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 small chipotle peppers chopped and 2 tsp of adobo sauce from can
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp and 1 tsp water
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 slices onion
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Combine pumpkin, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, salt and water in food processor.
- Once blended set aside.
- Season chicken with pumpkin pie spice, salt and pepper. Grill until cooked through.
- Grill onion and tortillas until both have light grill marks.
- Meanwhile, heat beans and puree (separately).
- Once everything is cooked fill tortillas with chicken, followed by beans, then onions and top with pumpkin puree.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Boneless skinless chicken thighs can be substituted for chicken breasts.
*The Geeks were not compensated or given any comped items to facilitate this recipe; All opinions are wholly our own. View our Disclosure Policy for more info.