We don’t know about you, but we love a good creature feature! When we heard about this summer’s release of Crawl, we were pretty dang excited. So much so, that we created a brand new cocktail with bite, Gator Grog! Not only that, but we have rounded up some fan alligator facts and even have a giveaway! So read on!
When a massive hurricane hits her Florida hometown, Haley (Kaya Scodelario) ignores evacuation orders to search for her missing father (Barry Pepper). Finding him gravely injured in the crawl space of their family home, the two become trapped by quickly encroaching floodwaters. As time runs out to escape the strengthening storm, Haley and her father discover that the rising water level is the least of their fears.
With the inspiration being fairly obvious, a green cocktail that has a bite, we thought it would be fun to show our geeky side and share some alligator facts!
- Shark attacks kill 6 people a year. More than 1000 die in crocodile and alligator attacks.
- Alligators bite down with 13,172 Newtons- or 2960 lbs of force, one of the most powerful bites ever recorded for a living animal.
- Alligators first appeared some 37 million years ago, making them officially “living dinosaurs.”
- Alligators perform an inescapable spinning maneuver called a “death roll” to subdue and dismember prey.
- As an alligator’s teeth are worn down they are replaced naturally. They can go through 3000+ teeth in a lifetime.
- Using their tails, alligators can leap up to five feet out of the water to grab prey perched in trees.
- Alligators see clearly at night.
- Alligators are capable of eating 23% of their body weight at a time, the equal to a 180 pound person eating 41 pounds of steak.
- Alligators can swim at a speed of 31.18 km/hr
- An estimated 5 million American alligators are spread out across the southeastern United States. Roughly 1.25 million alligators live in the state of Florida.
- Alligators are territorial, and will fight other alligators to defend their young.
- Alligator jaws can exert up to 1,000 pounds of pressure.
Now that you’ve got the facts and a delicious drink idea, we’re changing things up a bit! Instead of screening passes, we are going to be giving away 5 pairs Fandango Passes for Crawl! All you have to do is enter below and the winners will be chosen this Friday! Good luck!
Crawl releases in theaters Friday, July 12th!
Inspired by this summer's creature feature Crawl, The Geeks have created a new recipe for Gator Grog, a cocktail with bite!
- 1.5 oz Aged Rum
- 1.5 oz Mango Juice
- 1 oz Kiwi Syrup
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- Dash of Serrano Bitters
- Lime peel for garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice.
- Strain into glass with crushed ice.
- Garnish with a bad ass gator lime peel garnish.
*The Geeks received no compensation to facilitate this write-up; opinions are wholly our own. Fandango Passes provided by Allied Marketing. View our Disclosure Policy for more info.
One Reply to “Gator Grog: A Crawl Inspired Recipe”
Thank you for the opportunity to see this film I can’t wait as I’ve been a fan of Aja’s since his movie High Tension came out years ago. And let’s not forget his movie The Hills Have Eyes. He knows how to make intense movies.