Can you believe that Halloween is already here? We thought it would be fun to put together a guide and recipe inspired by the meta-horror hit Scream. As with most horror fans our age, this film was pretty influential so we figured, why not create the perfect Scream Inspired Movie Night? We’ll cover movie ideas, snacks, and of course, we’ll share our 90s throwback cocktail, the Woodsboro Snapple Cocktail!
In case you’ve lived under a rock since 1996, in Scream, “a killer known as Ghostface begins killing off teenagers, and as the body count begins rising, one girl and her friends find themselves contemplating the “rules” of horror films as they find themselves living in a real-life one.”
Aside from the obvious, there are a ton of movies mentioned or referenced in Scream. So in addition to watching the Scream franchise, here are some suggestions that would come from Randy himself.
- Terror Train (1980)- “A masked killer targets six college kids responsible for a prank gone wrong three years earlier and who are currently throwing a large New Year’s Eve costume party aboard a moving train.”
- The Howling (1981)- “After a bizarre and near-fatal encounter with a serial killer, a newswoman is sent to a rehabilitation center whose inhabitants may not be what they seem.”
- Halloween (1978)- “Fifteen years after murdering his sister on Halloween Night 1963, Michael Myers escapes from a mental hospital and returns to the small town of Haddonfield, Illinois to kill again.”
- Psycho (1960)- ” When larcenous real estate clerk Marion Crane goes on the lam with a wad of cash and hopes of starting a new life, she ends up at the notorious Bates Motel, where manager Norman Bates cares for his housebound mother. The place seems quirky, but fine… until Marion decides to take a shower.”
- Carrie (1976)- “Carrie White, a shy and troubled teenage girl who is tormented by her high school peers and her fanatically religious mother, begins to use her powers of telekinesis to exact revenge upon them.”
- Friday the 13th (1980)- “Camp counselors are stalked and murdered by an unknown assailant while trying to reopen a summer camp that was the site of a child’s drowning.”
- A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)- “Teenagers in a small town are dropping like flies, apparently in the grip of mass hysteria causing their suicides. A cop’s daughter, Nancy Thompson, traces the cause to child molester Fred Krueger, who was burned alive by angry parents many years before. Krueger has now come back in the dreams of his killers’ children, claiming their lives as his revenge. Nancy and her boyfriend, Glen, must devise a plan to lure the monster out of the realm of nightmares and into the real world.”
- Prom Night (1980)- “This slasher movie follows a relentless killer who is out to avenge the death of a young girl who died after being bullied and teased by four of her classmates. Now, high-school students, the guilt-ridden kids have kept their involvement a secret, but when they start being murdered, one by one, it’s clear that someone knows the truth. Also coping with the past are members of the dead girl’s family, most notably her prom-queen sister, Kim Hammond.”
- The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)- “A Texas Ranger hunts for a hooded serial killer terrorizing the residents of a small town, set in 1946 Arkansas. Loosely based on a true story.”
You wouldn’t believe how much food is actually seen in Scream. The Final Girls Feast podcast discusses this topic in their latest episode! Fortunately, it’s all pretty movie-night friendly!
- Chips– There are a TON of chips in Scream. Prominently featured are:
- Chex Mix
- Jiffy Pop- RIP Casey Becker
- Popsicle Brand Popsicles
- Hot Tamales
- Rold Gold Pretzels
Last but not least, you’ll need drinks for your party and of course we have you covered there as well! Not only can you try our delicious albeit basic cocktail inspired by the 90s below, but you can also make one of our many horror-themed cocktails.
We hope you had as much fun with this guide as we did coming up with it! If you decide to have a Scream-inspired movie night this weekend be sure to take pics and tag us! We hope you have an awesome Halloween!
The Geeks have put together a guide on having a Scream inspired movie night that even Randy would be proud of plus a delicious cocktail that is a total 90s throwback!
- 1 1/2 oz Bacardi Silver Rum
- 3/4 oz Lime Juice
- 1/2 oz Malibu Pineapple Rum
- Kiwi Strawberry Snapple
- Combine the first three ingredients in a cup.
- Fill cup with crushed ice.
- Top with Snapple.
*The Geeks were not compensated or given any comped items to facilitate this write-up; Opinions and recipes are wholly our own. View our Disclosure Policy for more info.