Man, this summer is just loaded with movies we are dying to see! On the top of that list is Disney’s live-action remake of Aladdin. We are both fans of the animated film, as are most people our age. So when we saw they were making a live-action version we were intrigued. It also gave us an idea for a recipe, Agrabah Baklava Bites!
“A thrilling and vibrant live-action adaptation of Disney’s animated classic, Aladdin is the exciting tale of the charming street rat Aladdin, the courageous and self-determined Princess Jasmine and the Genie who may be the key to their future. Directed by Guy Ritchie, who brings his singular flair for fast-paced, visceral action to the fictitious port city of Agrabah, Aladdin is written by John August and Ritchie based on Disney’s “Aladdin.” The film stars Will Smith as the Genie; Mena Massoud as Aladdin; Naomi Scott as Jasmine; Marwan Kenzari as Jafar; Navid Negahban as the Sultan; Nasim Pedrad as Dalia and Billy Magnussen as Prince Anders.”
Our Agrabah Baklava Bites took inspiration from the song, A Friend Like Me, in which the food is mentioned. However, baklava is a fair amount of work so we wanted to make a more approachable recipe with similar flavors. We also used pistachios and orange fig spread for filling since figs and pistachios are mentioned in the original movie. The result is a easy and delectible dessert perfect for movie night!
Now that you have a delicious dessert recipe, here is your opportunity to see the movie that inspired it! We are giving away 5 Family 4-Packs of VIP Advanced Screening Passes to an advanced showing of Aladdin! The showing will be held at Harkins Arizona Mills IMAX on Tuesday, May 21st. The screening starts at 7 pm and the winners should arrive at 6:15 in order to guarantee their seating. Winners will be selected on Sunday, May 19th. Good luck!
Inspired by the live action remake of Aladdin, The Geeks have created a recipe for Agrabah Baklava Bites. This sweet treat is perfect for movie night!
- 6 Sheets of Phyllo Dough
- 3/4 cup Orange Fig Spread
- 1 cup Shelled Pistachios
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Blend pistachios so they are coarsely ground.
- Carefully separate phyllo sheets. Keeping the rest under a lightly damped towel.
- Roll out 1 sheet of phyllo onto you work surface.
- Mist it with cooking spray.
- Place another phyllo sheet on top.
- Mist again with cooking spray.
- Cut phyllo width-wise into 4 even strips.
- Place 1 tbsp of fig spread and 1 tbsp of pistachios onto 1 end of 1 strip.
- Fold the corner over the filling to opposite side of strip, making a triangle.
- Fold triangle up to meet straight side, then across again. (Like you were folding a flag)
- Continue folding over triangle until you reach end.
- Mist the bite with cooking spray to seal it.
- Repeat this with remaining strips and phyllo sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with honey.
This recipe can be doubled or tripled as you see fit. This recipe will be for 12.
*The Geeks received no compensation to facilitate this write-up; opinions are wholly our own. Screening tickets provided by Fingerpaint Marketing. View our Disclosure Policy for more info.
One Reply to “Agrabah Baklava Bites: An Aladdin Inspired Recipe”